- Cream butter and sugar
- Add Eggs
- Add flavoring such as vanilla
- Sift Flour and Baking Powder/Soda
- Mix liquids together
- Alternatively add flour and liquids until all combined.
Notes about Creaming Method
- Butter, eggs and liquids should all be at room temperature.
- Creaming should start out at a low speed then move to high speed to maximize aeration.
- To lessen the amount of gluten forming and thereby making a tougher cake by mixing as much dry mix to the batter as it can take before adding the liquid and alternating.
Courtesy of the Joy of Baking.